Sacred Heart Parish History
taken from "Archdiocese of Dubuque 1837-2012 Jesus Alive through 175 Years" Book
"Sacred Heart Church, LaPorte City, built its first church in 1887. The building to house the parish was begun by the Rev. Thomas O'Brien and dedicated the following year. The first Mass celebrated at Sacred Heart Church was on April 25, 1888. The parish was a mission for 50 years, served first from Eagle Center, then Vinton, and finally St. Mary, Waterloo. While a mission of St. Mary in Waterloo, our pastors were the Franciscan Fathers (Order of Friars Minor). They served from 1917 until our first resident pastor, Rev. James Supple, arrived in 1946.
"In 1967, under the direction of Rev. Robert Cizek and the building committee, plans were made for a new one story brick church, rectory and social hall. Ground breaking ceremonies took place on July 23, 1967, and the buildings were dedicated on May 27, 1968. In 1974, the parish hall was named "Cizek Hall" to honor the pastor, Father Cizek. The social hall would also be used for religious instructions for the elementary and high school children of the parish. A youth group was formed in 1975, and a parish council in 1980.
"In 1996, with the shortage of available priests, Sacred Heart, St. Mary of Mt. Carmel, Eagle Center, and Immaculate Conception, Blessing, were linked.
"Special events have taken place during the last quarter of this center are election night soup suppers and parish picnics which include Sunday Eucharist at Hickory Hills Park. The parish has twice participated in RENEW. Missions have been conducted and speakers have done workshops.
"Sacred Heart Parish has made steady growth. In 1936, there were 40 families and today 206 families are registered.
"In 2006, we became part of the Prince of Peace Cluster with St. Mary of Mt. Carmel in Eagle Center and St. Paul in Traer."